Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 9 November 2010

The earth moved, under my feet:

I fell asleep last night having finished another book, and was suddenly woken up by shaking. At first I thought that the burglars that have apparently been around the last few days were under the house. As I woke up a bit more, I realised that was unlikely and I’d probably just felt my first ever earthquake. My next thought was “Does that mean that there’ll be a tsunami now?”
So I immediately peered out at the window behind me to look at the sea, because supposedly you see warning signs of the ocean receding to tell you the big wave is coming so you can run for your life. Then I realised that since it was pitch black outside I wouldn’t be able to see the water receding. So I then stared at the reflection of the lights of distant houses in the water along the coast and tried to see if the water was moving. Unable to see if there were even waves in the water, I gave up on the idea of that as a warning and started to wonder if the police or even the hospital would get a warning if they thought a wave was coming. I hoped that they would ring the big gong outside to warn people.
So then I started to think about what I should grab if the gong was sounded – I settled on my phone, computer and rucksack, but really can’t remember why – surely a few pieces of fruit or a torch would have been a better idea!
After that, I realised that surely a tsunami would need a bigger earthquake to form, and seeing as the one I’d felt had lasted about 5 seconds and had barely shaken the table next to my bed it was unlikely to cause any problems. So then I went back to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment