Powered By Blogger

Saturday 6 November 2010

Water sports

Every outdoor activity worth trying out over here involves water.
Last weekend I went snorkelling, which I loved but unfortunately it tends to involve a LOT of suncream or else I’d end up looking like a lobster or some other scarlet-coloured thingy, and also means that you are just looking at all the pretty fishies and rays (and a shark or 2) from above. So I decided to take the plunge (he he!) and do a diving course while I’m here. I’ve spent the last few days watching the (very dull and corny) videos, and have now finished all the theory parts of the course. Now to actually get in the water.........unfortunately the diving instructors are going on holiday on Monday for 2 weeks so I can’t finish it until they get back. So I’m back to snorkelling in the mean-time but I can handle that.
The water here is absolutely crystal clear, and the visibility is meant to be amongst the best in the world. Even just snorkelling I managed to see a huge array of fish and even the one reef shark (thankfully small and moving AWAY from me). When the group of people diving were 25m below, I was still able to tell who was who and give them a wave. The colour of the water at the shore is a stunning turquoise that I just can’t seem to capture in pictures. Unfortunately, most of the shores on the mainland are rocky and you don’t get the white sandy beaches but a few of the islands have those so the dive boat tends to stop off there for lunch.

This morning, Mia (Aussie Med student) and I decided we wanted to get out and do something on the water, so we hired a little dugout canoe – a steal at £5 for both of us for the morning. We didn’t go far, but it was lovely to see the town and nearby villages from the water.
I have a feeling I’ll be feeling it in my arms tomorrow morning though!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds so awesome Nicholia! I am super jealous!
    Sasch

    ReplyDelete