Powered By Blogger

Friday 26 November 2010

Payback......

I moved into the main town last week after Tetepare with the other med students, and have stayed once they both left. The hostel/motel place that I’m in is great and quite a bit cheaper and even has satellite tv in the lounge.
However, the other people staying here are all male, and I think most are Malaysian workers. They are very polite and friendly, but all of this week they commandeered the tv and have been watching WWE (wrestling), all day and night. They’ve also found it amusing to play music from about 5am in the next room and unfortunately the walls are paper thin.
So, yesterday I got home from the hospital and politely asked if they knew if the cricket (Ashes) were on the tv. So they changed it for me and I spent all afternoon watching the England batting – a fun afternoon despite the depressing performance towards the end (or Siddle’s impressive performance depending on which side you’re on)
Today I got back to find the tv unattended so sat down and put the cricket on again. People kept walking into the lounge looking at the tv with disappointment. A few have asked me who won or if it’s the highlights from yesterday. I have to say I quite enjoy watching their faces fall when I tell them it’s the same game, but this is day 2 of 5! I don’t think they quite realised how long a game of cricket takes. One canny person got the better of me by boldly sitting IN my chair where my phone and laptop and keys were, changing the channel in the 5 minutes it took me to put my washing on. I didn’t have the guts to protest but just sat behind them until they both got a bit bored or maybe they felt guilty and left me the remote.
Luckily for them I’ll be spending tomorrow finishing my PADI diving course so they will be able to watch wrestling to their hearts’ content.

No comments:

Post a Comment