Powered By Blogger

Sunday 28 November 2010

Scuba diving....check!

I am now officially a scuba diver - it's something I've always wanted to do and I'm very pleased I have. 
Most people do the 'confined water' dives part of the diving course in a swimming pool but they don't seem to have those here - why bother when you can swim in the sea! So yesterday we went to an island (the picture postcard one with the hammocks - see earlier photos) and learnt the basic skills just off the shore, going deeper as we got a bit more confident. It's a lovely small group, with just one other student and the instructor. I thought I would find it difficult to do things like take the regulator (the thing that you get your air from) out and put it back in, but in fact the thing I HATED was taking my mask off - it's surprisingly difficult to stop yourself breathing through your nose. I managed to do it though and had a really good day.
Today we did proper diving - it was absolutely amazing! We saw a juvenile leopard shark, a couple of reef sharks, some stingrays (eagle) and crayfish, not to mention a huge amount of fish. It was SO much fun and unfortunately it may become an expensive hobby. I am still going to have to get more practice equalising as I spent a lot of time going up and down trying to stop my ears from hurting.
This all means that I can now dive with an instructor, and by next weekend I'll be able to dive on my own (well, with a buddy). 

4 comments:

  1. Sweet! Lets do a dive in Coffs? Gax

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome - thanks for offering to pay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learnt earlier this year just before Mark and I went to Egypt to dive.. its ace isn't it? I totally agree about the "taking off the mask underwater" experience though!!! We should all go diving together one day! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today's was amazing! Will write about it later, but I'd definitely be up for some diving sometime. Rich will have to learn now.

    ReplyDelete